Monday, February 11, 2013

Ben Franklin in Drag


2/11/13 De Atramentis ink, Hand Book journal
As far as coffee shops go, I know I keep saying that most Starbucks stores aren’t ideal. Despite that, I find myself sketching there because there’s always one or another conveniently located, no matter where my errands take me.
 
In today’s case, it was the Wedgwood neighborhood, where I found the tables to be a little too close together for sketching comfort, as usual. On the other hand, I liked the natural light, the distance between the tables and the counter and other spatial elements that made the interior challenging to sketch, but not overwhelming. An unexpected challenge was the way a young man was sitting, affording me a view of a foot that I don’t get often.
2/11/13 Kuretake Fountain Brush Pen
 
A nicely placed chair gave me a square view of a texting man and later a woman scrolling through her smartphone. Although I doubt she will ever see my blog, I publicly apologize to her here for making her look like Ben Franklin in drag. Something about the Kuretake Fountain Brush Pen, which I am really getting into as a sketching medium, brings out the “character” in people, flattering or not.
2/11/13 Kuretake Fountain Brush Pen



1 comment:

  1. Coffee shops are always good for sketching people. Nice job! I had to laugh at the Ben Franklin reference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...