Friday, May 3, 2013

Statue of Jimi Hendrix


5/3/13 Sailor pen, Private Reserve Ultra Black ink, Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook
I’ve never been much of a rock fan, but I know the influence that Jimi Hendrix has had on rock music, and even I can listen to his riffs and appreciate his innovation.
 
The bronze statue of Hendrix on the corner of Broadway and Pine on Capitol Hill has been on my list of memorials and monuments that I want to sketch. Sculpted by local artist Daryl Smith, the statue captures the intense passion that I imagine Hendrix must have expressed during concerts. Leaning up against a wall of the Blick Art Materials store as I sketched, I felt that passion, too.

2 comments:

  1. Your sketching is taking quantum leaps forward. This one of Hendrix is amazing! You really captured the gesture and the facial expression. I am a HUGE fan of rock music and he is a rock and roll GOD! I think your sketch does him justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, Janine! I really enjoyed sketching Hendrix and trying to convey the passion that is evident in the bronze.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...