Thursday, April 24, 2014

Vulnerability

4/24/14 ink wash, water-soluble colored pencil
Canson mixed media paper (5-min. pose)
A well-known piece of advice for people who fear public speaking is to imagine that the audience is sitting in their underwear or buck naked. It’s difficult to be intimidated by a disrobed audience: Unclothed people seem vulnerable.

4/24/14 ink wash, water-soluble colored
pencil, Canson mixed media paper
(5-min. pose)
Whenever I go to life drawing sessions, I’m always a little bit in awe of the courage it takes to be naked in front of a roomful of strangers who are there to scrutinize. No matter how much the models are being paid or how much experience they have (and therefore are presumably accustomed to doing it), they are doing something I could never do. To me, it’s the epitome of vulnerability.

Though I don’t think I captured it, this morning’s model had a particularly vulnerable face. At one point, when I was drawing his ribcage, I could see his heart beating under his skin.

4/24/14 ink wash, water-soluble colored pencil,
Canson mixed media paper (5-min. pose)
4/24/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown and Pilot Iroshizuku
Take-Sumi inks, Canson mixed media paper
(20-min. pose)

1 comment:

  1. Nice life sketches!!! I particularly like the last one...great lighting even in his hair. I am always amazed by models and the poses they can hold for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...