Thursday, May 29, 2014

South Lake Union Crane

5/29/14 Platinum Carbon ink, Pitt Artist Pen, watercolor, Zig markers, Canson mixed media sketchbook

What is it with cranes?

You might be wondering if I have a special affinity for construction cranes, given the number that I have been sketching lately. I don’t really have a particular fondness for them – they are just so ubiquitous that you can’t turn your head in any direction without seeing one.

My sketchbook from last fall is back home.
I made a brief stop at MOHAI this morning to pick up my sketchbook that had been on exhibit there since December as part of Gabi Campanario’s “Drawn to Seattle” exhibit. (I’m sorry that Gabi’s spectacular show is over, but I’m happy that my sketchbook is home again.) In the parking lot, I backed into a space so that I could get an ideal view of this construction crane. Much closer than I usually can be to a crane, I could see a lot more details – inexplicable as they are. For example, what could be the translucent, mesh-like, rectangular structure attached to the main vertical mast? 


4 comments:

  1. Nice sketch of the crane! I look at those things and wonder what I'm seeing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journal looks wonderful, Tina. Did you hand make it? Any chance you'll upload some of the pages from it for those of us who couldn't make it to the show in Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! Yes, the sketchbook is handbound. All of the sketches in it have been on my blog during that period, which was Aug. 15 - Oct. 7, 2013. You can look through the dates in the blog archive (at right) to find them. To learn more about my whole handbound sketchbook saga, you can click the label "book binding" in the list at lower right.

      - Tina

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Tina. I appreciate your response and the information about how to create a hand bound sketchbook. Very inspiring! I hope to try this.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...