Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Café Bambino

6/10/14 Pilot Iroshizuku inks, Zig markers, colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
It may have been serving Ballard since 1928, but I never noticed it until the other day when I happened to be driving through the neighborhood. In the valley between Ballard and Phinney Ridge, Café Bambino would be an otherwise unassuming coffee shop if it weren’t for the rather muscular, not altogether friendly looking baby (I guess . . .? Bambino is the Italian word for baby, right?) wearing a coffee cup on its head atop the small building.

Some cold and rainy day, I’ll go inside, have a cup of coffee and learn the story about it. (Actually, I wouldn’t have to wait for rain – the café has a nice shady deck for sipping espresso al fresco.) But on this warm afternoon, that baby was cryin’ for a sketch.

Edited later today: After I posted this sketch on Facebook, a friend who lives in Ballard reported that 16 years ago, this Bambino was stolen, but the owner somehow got it back. "It was a neighborhood mystery for a few days," Laura said.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know babies could balance things on their heads. You sure have some interesting sketching opportunities over there. Good job! Glad they got the baby back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...