Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Geese at Green Lake

7/9/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown, Grey and Pilot
Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa inks, Caran d'Ache Museum
water-soluble colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
As ubiquitous as seagulls, pigeons and crows, Canada geese are not necessarily my favorite birds. These poop machines generate so much product that they can be a nasty nuisance at city parks like Green Lake where they like to hang out. (It seems like they don’t leave in the winter as they are supposed to – why go through a tedious, tiring migration when you can stay fat and happy in a moderate climate like Seattle’s?) But I have to say that Canada geese make excellent life-drawing models. They move constantly, but not very fast, and although they spook if a dog comes by, they have no fear of people. This morning as I quietly stood very close to these geese, they barely gave me a nod. In fact, when I opened my bag for a waterbrush, they must have thought I had food; several gathered even closer, eyeing me expectantly.

They give the impression of being clumsy when they run, but they walk with style and grace. After spending an hour sketching them in as many poses as I could and simply enjoying their elegant movements, I took a longer view to put them in the context of the park.

On my way back to the car, I stopped for one more quick sketch, this time of the lake and the neighborhood beyond it.

7/9/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink

7/9/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink

7/9/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown, Grey, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa and mixed green inks,
Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

1 comment:

  1. LOL If they weren't so darn messy they would be a pleasure to have around. They do make good models and you captured them and the area well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...