Thursday, July 3, 2014

Long Lines and Hoops

7/3/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown and Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa inks, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils,
Canson XL 140 lb. paper

The first thing I noticed as I approached the Lake City Farmers Market was a huge line of people – mostly women and small children – leading to a large table, which had a crowd in front of it. The Seattle neighborhood farmers markets are a popular summer destination, but I had never seen a line like that for any vendor. Curious, I asked someone what they were waiting for.

7/3/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink
It turned out that the line was for WIC – Seattle/King County’s Women, Infants and Children supplemental nutrition program for low-income citizens. Apparently WIC sponsors a booth once a year at this market, issuing $20 vouchers for recipients to spend on produce there. The line of people was such an unusual sight at this market that I decided to sketch it, even though it wasn’t exactly lively.

To make up for it, I did some gesture sketches of a bunch of kids hula-hooping. I could have stayed for the cherry pit spitting competition, but by then my bag was heavy with Rainier cherries, blueberries and early peaches. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. Great that you did some reportage sketching and captured the scene even if it wasn't the most lively...but the kids with the hula-hoops definitely were. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...