Thursday, September 25, 2014

Antique Shopping

9/25/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi and Diamine
Grey inks, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble
colored pencil, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
If you have any interest in Asian (mostly Japanese) antiques, you might want to check out Kyoto Art and Antiques, which is open to the public through Oct. 5 for its warehouse sale in Georgetown. These semi-annual sales last for only about 10 days each. Although I’m generally not an antique shopper, I’ve had something specific in mind for a while. When I went to Kyoto Art’s sale last spring, I saw lots of interesting antiques, but not quite what I was looking for.

Today I spotted this large devil-like stone sculpture dated 1773 (with a price tag of $510). As I sketched it, I had one of the strangest public sketching encounters yet. A man took out his phone and said, “Would you like me to take a photo of it for you?” assuming that I was sketching it because I had no camera!

No, I didn’t buy the devil. But I did find what I was looking for! And yes – it’s sketching-related! All will be revealed soon. (Don’t you love cliffhangers?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...