Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Rainy Day Therapod

11/25/14 Diamine Sargasso Sea ink, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
After dropping off my car for servicing in the U District, I dashed through today’s relentless drizzle to the Burke Museum a few blocks away. The last time I visited, I had sketched the stegosaur skeleton in the main dinosaur exhibit, and despite my best efforts, I didn’t scale correctly, so I had to chop off his tail and put it on another page. Today I sketched his buddy right next to him – a therapod dinosaur, whose front half I had sketched back in January. This time I scaled accurately and managed to fit the whole skeleton onto a sketchbook spread (barely).

How fortuitous that the time it takes me to sketch a therapod is just about the same as the time it takes to get my oil changed.

Sadly, I’m running out of Burke dinosaurs. I have one more large one left to sketch; after that, I’ll move on to the small prehistoric cat skeletons and the animal skulls. After that, I might have to plan a trip to the Smithsonian for a bone fix!

2 comments:

  1. I like that you sketched the background and foreground for the dinosaur. Nice sketch!!! I know I would have had a hard time fitting it across my sketchbook. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!
    I think I'm going to need a Smithsonian bone fix one of these days too! (as well as a space shuttle fix)
    The last time I planned a trip there (including paying for a non refundable plane/hotel booking) was when the whole city was going through a government shutdown! what timing.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...