Sunday, February 1, 2015

More Utility Pole Action

1/31/15 Various inks, Zig markers, colored pencil, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Last August I sketch-reported on a new utility pole as it was being installed right outside our house, and in November I made a detailed sketch of the tops of the new and old poles. You’d think I’d be tired of sketching those ugly poles by now, but we keep seeing more action out there! (I know what you’re thinking: “Poor Tina – she needs to get a life.”)

Yesterday morning Greg spotted a broken insulator at the base of the poles (the old one is still there right next to the new one), so he called to report it. Last evening about 5 p.m., when the light was falling fast, Seattle City Light workers knocked on our door to let us know they would be shutting off the power for a short time while they worked on the problem. (I’m not sure why they waited until dusk – seems like they would have preferred to work in daylight.) With a great view of the action from our livingroom window, I sketched two workers going up in a cherry picker to detach the fuse and then resolve the issue. I know the sketch looks like daytime, but by then it was totally dark out. Halfway through my sketch, I had to go get a flashlight, because it was also dark inside.

Who’d have thought a power pole could offer so much entertainment? (OK, OK, I’ll go get a life.)

4 comments:

  1. Outstanding sketch, and in the dark no less. -- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding sketch, and in the dark no less. -- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I love it!!! You did such a great close-up of the workmen! This is great reportage sketching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketch. You have a life - you are an urban sketcher!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...