Saturday, May 9, 2015

Laziness at the Locks

5/9/15 Diamine Eclipse ink, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
We’re busy getting ready to travel, but the day promised to be so warm (77 right now at 4:30 p.m.!) that we couldn’t resist sneaking out to the Ballard Locks for an hour or two for some sunshine. (The last time we were at the locks, we shivered as the Christmas ships passed through.) 

5/9/15 Sailor Doyou ink
On our way there, I was thinking I could be ambitious and try tackling the always-challenging wide view of the locks, the ships, the water and all manner of other difficult subjects that can be found there. But once I arrived, I felt as lazy as the day and brushed aside all ambition. I spotted two couples picnicking and reading in the grass. But more fun to sketch were the gulls below us as we crossed the locks. I don’t get many opportunities to sketch a gull from above! I wanted to sketch a few more, but just after I made these sketches, water came rushing through the locks, which sent the whole flock flying and squawking in a whirl of madness. 



5/9/15 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Canson mixed-media paper

1 comment:

  1. Nice sketches from your day out in the sunshine!!! Have a great trip! I hope you will be sketching while you are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...