Saturday, August 19, 2017

Maple Leaf Park: Old is New Again

8/18/17 Confluent Boulders sculpture at Maple Leaf Park

“The biggest and best highlight is a completely unobstructed view of Mt. Rainier – possibly the best within the city limits!”

That’s what I wrote on the Urban Sketchers Seattle blog to promote yesterday’s outing to Maple Leaf Reservoir Park. Perhaps I oversold it just a tad, as the cloud cover never did reveal The Mountain. Still, a good turnout of sketchers found plenty to sketch in “my” neighborhood park on a beautiful morning.

Sketched in March 2014: Same view, very different style
As you know, I sketch at this park regularly, so I was bound for a redux, no matter what view I chose. But it had been more than three years since I sketched this view of Confluent Boulders and the iconic water tower behind it, so it didn’t feel old. (At right is my sketch from 2014 just to show how much my style has changed.) It was especially enjoyable this time with the warm sun at my back and Natalie and Anne for company. 

As I was just saying about the sketch I did of the Interstate 5 overpass near Green Lake, familiar views feel fresh when I try to imagine them being seen through the eyes of a newcomer. Maple Leaf Park was new to everyone who joined the outing yesterday, so it was fun to imagine seeing and sketching it for the first time.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, it's really enjoyable to see how your "style" has changed in the last three years. It's inspiring to see how you have developed your own use of materials to create the vision you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I'm glad you are enjoying seeing the views together! I don't know if this current style is the one that will stick, but it is the closest to what feels the most natural and intuitive to me compared to everything else I've tried. I'm not sure if this is matching materials to my vision so much as simply feeling comfortable with the tools, but whatever it is, I'm eager to see where it goes. I am convinced, though, that we don't consciously choose our styles -- our styles choose us! And in my case it took a long time (6 years) for my style to choose me.

      Delete
    2. I like your description about "what feels the most natural and intuitive to me", I think you described what I've been searching for myself! I also like "we don't consciously choose our styles--our styles choose us"! I love your elegant sketches, they have a wonderful simplicity to them that I find wonderful to look at!

      Delete
  2. How fun to see how your style has changed from 2014 to now. Both are nice but you seems to have a relaxed ease in the new one that shows off your style nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! I, too, think it's interesting to see how my style has changed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...